Monday, September 22, 2008

Exercise

My parents were both teachers for 30 years. I grew up in a house that was very much influenced by that. We did "educational things" that were also very fun, but always structured to encourage learning and foster development. This has made me weary of some kids toys that are more technology than activity. I resisted baby Einstein videos, although you'll notice I've changed my tune a bit now (see the previous posts about the new "Bob the Builder" obsession). I've often seen kids in the neighborhood riding around on motorized vehicles and thought "No kid should be allowed to have one of those until they can ride a bike". I always figured that they took away kids chance to exercise. Heck, they'll spend most of their adult life sitting in cars and desks, why not let them get some exercise now. I resisted letting Zach have any motorized vehicle, even when we were given a jeep by one of Isaac's co-workers, I left it in the garage. Then came the "ride on" train, which is now set up on our porch. Zach loved it, he would go round and round. Unfortunately I always forget to charge the batteries, so it often sits "tired" on the porch.

This weekend another one of Isaac's co-workers sent home a motorcycle that his girls had outgrown. Zach saw it in the garage this afternoon and asked to please ride it. I was raining outside, so we agreed that he could ride it on the porch. First I only showed him the buttons that made noise, hoping that he would be content just sitting there. I do this at all those ride on toys outside of Wal-mart and inside Toys R' Us, it works like a charm by the way, and it saves me quarters and time :) But he of course found the button that made it move. So he drove it across the porch then ran into something, so he drug it back across the porch (the thing is not light) back to where he started, so he could ride it across again. I guess kids find there own ways to exercise, even if it's dragging heavy machinery across the porch so they can ride it 15 feet.

I guess I can cross that off my list of things to worry about :)

2 comments:

Leah said...

i don't think you have to worry about Zach getting enough exercise, ever... now, eating too many hotdogs might be another story, but you can always just avoid Home Depot...

Lindsey said...

i think you may have dropped the ball with your blog...you were so on a roll :)